L-methylfolate is a man-made dietary supplement that is sold under the name of Deplin in the market. It is a medical food that contains folic acid. Folic acid is present naturally in some foods like beans, dry fruits, green vegetables, organ meat, and seafood in folate form, which is famously known as vitamin B9. Both men and women require specific amounts of folic acid/ L-methylfolate to prevent severe health complications related to heart health.
Why Do Men Need L-Methylfolate?
Here are some other crucial reasons why men need L-methylfolate 5mg in their daily lives:
- It helps with depression. Studies show that consuming L-methylfolate alongside antidepressants enhances its effectiveness and helps cure depression rapidly.
- Men are more likely to get gray hair than women as they age. Also, hair loss is a common problem in aging men. But despite all the hair products on the market, L-methylfolate intake is undefeatable because, in most men, such hair issues are associated with folate deficiency.
- According to some studies, folic acid intake helps increase fertility, alongside helping with sperm quality and mobility.
- Another reason why l-methylfolate is beneficial for men is its anti-aging properties. It helps prevent premature wrinkles caused by the sun in men.
Dosage of L-Methylfolate for Men
The recommended daily dosage for men of age above 19 years is 400 mcg DFE (Dietary Folate Equivalent). However, on average, men in America consume more than the RDA, almost 602 mcg DFE per day. Therefore, there is no point to take extra folic acid supplements other than to overcome severe folate deficiency.
What Is The Maximum Safe L-Methylfolate Dosage for Men?
Like women, the maximum safe l-methylfolate/folic acid dosage for men is 1000 mcg DFE daily. Consuming more than this limit may result in adverse side effects like increased risk of prostate cancer, slow immune function, diarrhea/nausea, and behavioral changes.
However, in most cases, excess l-methylfolate is excreted from the body as it is a water-soluble mineral.
Best Sources of L-Methylfolate for Men
As we have explained above, folic acid/folate is an essential vitamin for men to improve their quality of life and add more years. Here are the best folate-rich sources for men to consume in their daily diet.
- Legumes: lentils, beans, peas.
- Leafy green vegetables
- Dairy products: milk, cheese, butter, and yogurt
- Citrus fruits
- Brussels sprouts
- Beef liver
Common Causes of Folate Deficiency in Men
To maintain folate levels in the body, you must avoid activities that cause folate deficiency. Here are the common causes that result in l-methylfolate deficiency in men:
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Having stomach disease like celiac disease
- Kidney problems that require dialysis
- Crohn’s disease
- Taking certain medicines: methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and phenytoin
Now that you know the causes of folate deficiency make sure to seek treatment for the health problems that disturb your folate levels.
From the above discourse, we can conclude that the suggested intake for men per day is easily achievable through a well-balanced diet. However, in case of mild deficiency, l-methylfolate supplements can help reach normal folate levels. Also, it is essential for the body as it helps in producing red blood cells.