What do ancient Egyptians and more modern millennials have in common? Nobody escapes from fashion, not in ancient times and now much less.
Fashion design may seem a superficial or banal subject but for centuries it has been an important part of our society and has had a great influence on the culture of each civilization.
This article is intended for you juice wrld merch fashion enthusiasts who are about to finish high school and consider pursuing a career in fashion design. There is nothing better than becoming an expert of the things that you are passionate about and our goal is that at the end of this article you know the great influence of fashion in history and that you convince yourself a little more to study this great career.
A quick review of the history of fashion design
At the beginning of our history, fashion was inconceivable; the garments consisted of animal skins that covered the body and had a practical purpose: to protect people from the ravages of the weather. Wearing fur was basically the difference between life and death.
As our ancestors evolved and extreme temperatures stabilized, clothing ceased to be a practical element to become an aesthetic element that transmitted to the world the social class to which you belonged. That is how:
- The ancient Egyptians used fabrics such as linen to create many of their garments. Dressing in a certain way was a test of power and nobility, or on the contrary, it could also represent slavery and poverty.
- In Roman civilization having a tailor was a sign of power and wealth and robes could give you information on whether the person was a philosopher, priest, warrior, magistrate or high dignitary.
- It was with the Renaissance that fashion design began its path to become what it is today: a profession.
However, it was with the Industrial Revolution that fashion was transformed into the concept that we now know: those garments, ornaments and accessories that are used in a certain time and context and which can be reproduced in large numbers and put on sale.
Fashion and its impact on society
Fashion has been present throughout human history and its influence is undeniable for various reasons:
- The mere fact of “dressing”, of covering our body with garments responds to a social requirement.
- Dressing in a certain way, with specific garments taken from the fashion of the moment, is a “brand” that communicates the way in which a person assumes their sex, age, status and their role in society.
- Fashion and the way of dressing is considered the greatest expression of freedom, especially by societies and governments that considered the imposition and use of certain garments to make citizens uniform.
- Fashion is a reflection of the main moral and aesthetic values of societies. Its impact on modern societies is undeniable and for centuries it has even shaped the way men and women see each other. Its influence is visible when we analyze the “ideal bodies ” of the 1950s and 1960s, and compare them with the physical characteristics of the contemporary ideal man and woman.
When judging the subject superficially, fashion and clothing design may seem like an irrelevant subject but they have a deep connection with the development of human societies.
Fashion designers: Profession with social relevance
The fashion designer has a deep social relevance, although his day-to-day life is related to the creation of harry styles merch clothing and ornaments for the body or hair. His role is important because through his knowledge and creativity he can imagine, design and produce products that serve two purposes:
- Dress people, protect them from inclement weather and environmental risks.
- Give people the elements that help them express who they are through their clothes: what they like and what their beliefs are.
Being a fashion designer allows you to become a creator of universes, small worlds that are expressed through fabrics, shapes and colors, and this is the reason why today’s designers can be so famous, influential and praised as any public figure within politics, music, film or television and art in general.
Fashion designers are key professionals who could develop new ways to create comfortable and useful garments with materials that positively impact environmental conservation. This is why a career in fashion design has become a career choice for today’s youth: their work is essential in many ways and has a real impact on today’s society.